
At the center of it all is the Green — laid out in 1639, twelve-plus acres, one of the largest village greens in New England, its shape virtually unaltered in nearly four centuries. The 1829 Congregational church anchors its north end, and the streets around it hold one of the deepest collections of colonial houses in Connecticut: the Hyland House (a museum since 1918), the Thomas Griswold House of about 1764 with its blacksmith shop, and the Medad Stone Tavern of 1803.
Guilford was started with a contract. In the spring of 1639, on shipboard between Surrey and the New England coast, twenty-five Puritan planters signed the Guilford Covenant — how they would govern themselves, divide the land, and build a town — before they had ever seen it. That September they purchased the land from Shaumpishuh, the woman who was sachem of the Menunkatuck band of the Quinnipiac — her people had worked this shore for generations, and like most colonial land deals it was an exchange weighted toward the newcomers; that honesty belongs in the story, as does she. Whitfield himself, like a number of Puritan householders of standing, held enslaved people in his household — part of the record too. The settlers named the town for Guildford in Surrey, and Guilford incorporated in 1718.
Why People Visit Guilford Connecticut
Guilford offers the oldest stone house in New England, one of the largest village greens in the country, four historic-house museums in walking distance of each other, an offshore lighthouse, forty miles of inland hiking, century-and-a-half-old family orchards, and a continuously running September fair. Visitors come for the Whitfield House, the green, the Hyland and Griswold houses, the granite shoreline, the apple and peach seasons at the orchards, the fair, and the simple shoreline pleasure of a village that has been holding its center since 1639. It is old, intact, and very Connecticut.